Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Happy Birthday, Jacob!


I think one of the best motivators for my artwork is when the projects are for someone. I was out of the office sick with a stiff neck on Monday, and I was starting to get cabin fever after going to my acupuncture visit. So, I called up a good friend of mine and we hung out at Path of Tea. While sipping tea, she asked me about gifts for Jacob since his birthday was coming up and the holidays are just around the corner. It dawned on me that I wasn't going to be able to paint a nice picture because of my bum neck. But, my friend suggested that we go browse through Paper Source.

That place is like crack to me. But, I found this $8 sheet of Japanese paper. It was thick, rough and had a beautiful gold design of waves crashing. It was my inspiration to make something with Japanese inspired prints. It was pretty nice since we celebrated his birthday by watching the Wild Ocean IMAX film and then eating sushi with 14 of our closest friends. I went to Texas Art Supply and Melissa and I picked out some fun supplies- cool stickers, more oragami paper, and paints.

We drove up to the studio and worked for three hours straight. There is something special about doing creative work. I think my mind needs that type of challenge just like our bodies need to go on workouts! It was so fun listening to music, talking, and working away. I found a nice frame at Pier One and I was so excited that I had to give him his present the night before. He loved it, and thought it was just so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment